Friday, September 9, 2011

Cape Royal Sunrise


Had my friends up to the North Rim last weekend... they left Monday morning around 5am... and Jess and I figured since we probably wouldn't be awake that early for a while, we would take advantage and head out to Cape Royal for our first Cape Royal sunrise.

Picture on Left is our little stretch of Colorado River from Cape Royal. I have a sneaky feeling that most people don't even see it when they go there (on account of all the people that ask me where it is when I'm roving at the point).



Wotan's trone in the early dawn light. The sunrise was beautiful but I must say the coolest thing I saw was a Perigrine Falcon going after a bat in the air right above me and then briefly landing on the railing about 8 feet in front of me. So brief that I didn't even have time to think about grabbing my camera. Was still in shock a few seconds after he flew away.




Freya castle and I believe Apollo and Venus temples in the distance. Forgot who's responsible for the Germanic/Norse names but I believe Freya was the goddess who transported souls that died in Wotan's service to the Walhalla (Norse heaven). Some mythology for you.
You can sort of make out Jesse standing at a little overhang taking pictures on the left.

Got out to Jesse's overhang too. View of Wotan's throne and Vishnu temple from there. Quite lovely.

2 comments:

  1. The colors on Wotons are outstanding. I just knew that had to be a great place for sunrise. Thanks for going as I'd not be likely to get there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great bird story. i'm getting a bit nostalgic for those views...and testing our inability to locate natural structures :P

    ReplyDelete